Monday, October 29, 2007

Early Sunday Morning....


I was waiting in line to get into the Sistine Chapel. The Vatican Museum was free instead of 13 euro. Well the line was super long, and after an hour and a half I was finally in. I even got there an hour before it opened (sort of accidentally since I wasn't sure if the time had switched back. Luckily I did get there early or else I could have been in line for hours, in which case I would have left. Vatican Museum is basically a giant maze, I was walking through with the goal of getting to the Sistine Chapel. I took in the museum rooms as I walked through them, not stopping much to look around and it still took a good 1/2 hour to finally get to the Sistine Chapel. You have to weave through all these hallways and rooms, then go upstairs, then downstairs then back up and around some more. There were some cool things along the way, they had a bunch of modern art interpreting bible scenes which was interesting to see.

I found the Sistine Chapel slightly underwhelming, maybe because before you get there you walk through about 15 rooms with painted ceilings and walls. The quality in the Sistine Chapel was definitely better than in the other rooms and all the men in the paintings were freakishly muscular.

Afterwards I picked up Brianne and we set off for the Via Appia Antica. They close the road on Sundays for pedestrian and Bike traffic. We were going to rent bikes but unfortunately the place was all out when we got there. So we got some icecream,and walked along, taking in the countryside. It took about 45 minutes to get there from the center of Rome. Parts of the Via Appia are actually a large park which is why it still feels like the country. We saw a ton of sheep and there were little lambs running all over the place. I really wanted to pick one up but I figured the shepard would yell at me if I did.


We happened upon the Catacombs of San Sebastiano which come hand in hand with the church of San Sebastiano. I realized that in fact the San Sebastiano I went to on the Palatine Hill on Saturday was not a pilgrimage church, oops. But I found the real one accidentally, so I still have only one to go. It made more sense that this was the pilgrimage site since it was a larger church, and had catacombs underneath.

Brianne and I then found a big open field with some cool ruins on it, so we decided to take a nap. Falling asleep was easy, but at one point I woke up when my body jolted and realized if I moved much during my nap I'd fall off our perch...so I decided going back to sleep wasn't a good idea. So we sat and sketched and chatted and then the sun was starting to get low in the sky so we started the trek back to Roma.


nuns:188 priests:87
(I saw two huge groups of nuns, one group on the via appia and one waiting for the train near the Corso Vittorio Emannuel) Oh and I don't count nuns and priests at the Vatican because there are just too many.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Seems like this running count isn't valid if you ignore the hard working and equally important nuns and priests at the Vatican. Could it be because there are more priests around and this is an outcome you don't want to see?

Jessica said...

um, no. its because 1. the Vatican is a sovereign country and not technically Rome and 2. its just too many to count, so i figure it evens out.

Unknown said...

I don't knowwwwww

Seems like bias to me. Kind of like how those other lambs in the field felt neglected because you only took a picture of the cute one.