Monday, December 10, 2007

Plečnik galore



So today I led myself around the city by visiting some Plečnik sites I had not seen yet. I started the day by going to the Roman wall. He reconstructed a roman wall from some ruins found. There is a big entrance under a pyramid, which is one of the distinct parts of the wall. He also put a line of pebbles between what was actual ruins and what he built.


Then it was onto the Church of St. James. It was had some great artwork inside, the church had very modern depictions of the station of the cross and Jesus preaching. They had a lot of feeling to them, and most were just black and white. Then I walked by his old house, but unfortunately couldn`t go in, because it is only open to group tours on mondays.

I looped back towards the marketplace and did a few sketches and finally had a chance to go downstairs. Its a long indoor space along the riverbank, divided into separate stores. At one point it stops and then starts again, apparently Plečnik had planned for a bridge to be built, but it never was.


I headed back to the hostel briefly, mostly to locate one of Plečnik's churches on the map. I took a brief detour and explored the Tivoli Park. It is gorgeous and I wish it had been warmer so I could have spent more time outside. Unbeknown to me there was actually a plečnik exhibit outside in the park, it was a bunch of photographs of his work. So the park fit right into my Plečnik day.


I rounded out the day by making the trek to St Micheal on the Marshes. It was out in farmland, although unfortunately it looked like suburban sprawl was getting closer. The church was beautiful and the inside was very rustic looking. It had large timber beams and felt pretty dark but cozy inside. The outside has an awesome bell tower that you get to by climbing around the outside of it. I couldn't go all the way up because it was blocked off.


I also got a surprise tour of some modern slovenian architecture on the way out there...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you have too many sketches of churches. The nuns and priests are probably upset you neglected them.